sanitizer

What Happens If You Drink Sanitizer?

Hand sanitizer is a great way to get rid of germs. But what happens if you drink it? Nobody will do it intentionally, but what if it happens? There is no specific scientific case study to share on drinking sanitizer effects, but we all have a hazy idea in mind that it is dangerous to consume.

If it can be dangerous inside the body, it must also have some adverse effects on the skin, right? It depends upon the types of hand sanitizer liquid. The composition of hand sanitizer defines how it reacts with the human body.

The Clear Answer!

Without going here and there, let’s make it clear that no hand sanitizer liquid spray is safe to consume. Not at all! If anyone asks you what happens if you drink sanitizer, answer, “It Is Not Safe.” Sanitization and disinfection products are not meant for internal use. Never even think about it. But we are discussing here to see how disinfection products react to the human body internally or externally.

Why Would Anyone Do That?

The awkward question of what happens if you drink sanitizer came from most cases related to children. After the pandemic, the disinfection products had massive space in the basket with household items.

Parents start worrying when they imagine the situation. They ask themselves or experts, “what if kids drink sanitizer mistakenly?” Is there any treatment for that? You might not believe it, but parents are searching for answers to such questions on Google. They want to know if there is any sanitizer drink treatment.

Knowing The Intensity!

As mentioned above, there are no studies on the drinking sanitizer effect. So how to know the intensity of this health danger? Well, you can anticipate it from sanitizer poisoning. A study found 26 cases of hand sanitizer poisoning in children under 6 in three years. So it means It is even harmful while used externally.

The CDC says that children under 6 are at the highest risk of hand sanitizer poisoning because they like to taste things, which can cause them to ingest harmful substances without knowing, like alcohol or bleach.

Solution

Where there is a problem, there is a solution. That is not a hand sanitizer drinking treatment, but a precaution! Hand sanitizer liquid is poisonous and should be kept out of reach of children. To reduce the risk, it is recommended to use a sanitizer that is not toxic. However, it doesn’t mean sanitizer can be swallowed, but at least it will not show any adverse effects in external use.

Having alcohol, bleach, and other toxic ingredients can cause sanitizer poisoning even with continuous external use. To avoid poisoning, one is recommended to use a safe and non-toxic sanitizer. Ingredients like HOCl (Hypochlorous Acid) may be a helpful component in sanitizer.

-Pankaj Rai

Leave a Comment